Sunday, November 3, 2013

Munzee Clan Battle #8 begins!

After two days of scrambling to get the required ten players, our clan began battle last night.  This is the eighth clan battle that Munzee has done, and the third for which I have participated. My clan, the Mixed Doh Nutz, is an offshoot of the original Mixed Nutz clan started by Vanderarban.  Vanderarban recruited me to her clan in September, which was the first time that clan weapons were available.  It's an intense but fun 28 days of group Munzee.  The goal is to score as many points as possible as a group and compete against other clans around the world (about 250 different clans now).  We had munziers from all over the country, Canada, and Europe on the Mixed Nutz clan.  The weapons, which are merely special munzees that you win by hitting certain point totals, were a great new feature as they are only available via clan warfare, have special functions, and give you a unique icon when capped. To get these, every member of the clan has to hit 500 points (Mace munzee), 1000 points (Longsword munzee), or 2500 points (The Chuck).  The Chuck is a cache of 5 Maces and 5 Longswords.  We qualified for the Chuck on the last day as two people scrambled to get the final points.  It was quite exciting rooting for a stranger in Canada to find enough munzees to finally push us over the edge.

For the last two months, I have been with the Dohs.  It's a more relaxed group and that works for me because scoring 2500 points in a month is tough in San Diego.  I did it in September, but I had to drive to LA so I could go capping in a Mystery Garden.  Even with the string of virtuals I hit along Las Vegas boulevard (see post here), I could only manage about a thousand points last month.  As a clan, we only qualified for the first weapon, so it's not easy getting the Chuck. This month, I have my own personal strategy for capping at least a thousand points:

1. Cap a couple new Hotel munzees.  Hotels are another new type of munzee where the first few people to cap get a 'room' in the hotel and can score points as future people cap the hotel.  These bonus residual points are a great way to boost score without having to rely solely on finding munzees.

2. Take advantage of November 9th.  Munzee occasionally has special days where the point values of each munzee you deploy or cap is higher than normal.  Sometimes double, sometimes triple.  On the 9th, all regular munzees (special types are excluded) are worth 4X!  Given that there are a LOT more regular munzees in San Diego than the special types, this will be a great way for me to crank up the points locally.

3. Deploy, deploy, deploy.  I have deployed a significant number of the munzees in San Diego, but I will be looking for more opportunities to grow the map.  When I started back in January, there were only a couple of active players in the area.  Now there are at least ten active players, as well people that travel to San Diego, so I'm starting to see more capping on my munzees.  I have a bunch of regular munzees to put out there and a number of specials, including some weapons, a Hotel munzee, and a Quiz munzee.

We'll see how it all goes, but I'm hoping our clan can at least pick up the Mace again.  We can't compete with the top clans (scoring hundreds of thousands of points), but it's a lot of fun to meet new people and try to attain these small goals. In the Spring, there were no clans, no weapons, no Hotels, no Quizzes... the game has really come a long way in the last few months.  It's been a lot of fun to watch that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment